MaPS teach two hour intensive workshops on the Adobe Creative Suite, DSLR cameras and audio recording gear. Workshops are taught by our experienced team and aim to help you hit the ground running on your next production project!
Check out our workshop breakdowns below:
NOTE: Workshops are only open to students within the School of Communication and Arts.
We use Eventbrite for managing our workshop bookings. Please use an active email to receive workshop changes or updates.
If you can’t attend a workshop and need to change your booking, login to your Eventbrite account to cancel your ticket and make a new booking.
Download the latest workshop schedule to find a session that suits you!
AUDIO – Audio recording and editing with Audition
Students will learn basic audio recording and editing skills so they can produce quality audio packages in the field.
- How to record in the field using the Zoom H1 audio recorder
- Audio recording techniques and best practice.
- Importing audio files into Adobe Audition editing software.
- Mixing and editing multiple tracks of audio
- “Exporting as” various file types
PHOTO – Photography foundations
Students will learn how to take photographs on a DSLR camera. They will be introduced to the basic components of manual photography and learn how to control the camera’s settings to produce different effects. The manual controls taught in this workshop are also applicable to videography.
- How to take photographs using a Canon 80D DSLR
- Introduction to the three contributing factors of exposure (Aperture, Shutter speed and ISO)
- Introduction to the secondary effects of these factors (depth of field, motion freeze/blur)
- Practical exercises utilising the manual settings of the camera
VIDEO – Digital video production foundations
Students will learn how to capture good quality video and audio using the Canon 80D, tripod and an external microphone.
- How to record video to a Canon 80D DLSR
- How to use external microphones in conjunction with the DLSR
- The BE-SAFE Shooting System
- Basic interview technique
- Basic cutaway technique
- Practical exercise filming interview and cutaway footage
VIDEO EDITING – Video editing foundations with Premiere Pro
Students will learn how to import, edit, order, title and export vision to create quality video packages
- Tour of the Adobe Premiere Pro interface
- Correct file-management for video editing
- Importing vision into Premiere Pro
- Making cuts to vision
- Reordering vision
- Using cutaway to disguise edits
- Adding titles to speakers
- Appropriate transitions
- Basic colour correction
- Keyboard shortcuts to expedite the editing process
- Correct export settings and file sizes
IMAGE EDITING – Photo editing with Photoshop
Students will learn basic Photoshop techniques used by photographers to improve their images
- Tour of the Adobe Photoshop interface
- Correct file-management for editing photographs
- The importance of ‘layers’ in Photoshop
- How to adjust images using levels, curves, shadows and highlights.
- Retouching images
- Removing objects from images
- Adjusting areas of an image using masks
- Resizing images and image file size
DESIGN – Print publishing with InDesign
Students will learn to design and create a well laid-out page or spread, including type, images, graphic elements and colour.
- Tour of the InDesign interface
- Explanation of basic principles in relation to both print and online
- Using guides and margins to create a design template
- How to apply text, colour and graphical elements
- Inserting images
- Keyboard shortcuts to expedite the design process.
- Exporting packages and PDF’s
Creating an online folio with wordpress.com
Students will learn the fundamentals of online publishing, with a view to creating a personal portfolio website using wordpress.com.
- Getting started with wordpress.com
- Creating pages and posts
- Editing and publishing
- Adding content, Implementing categories and tags
- Adding digital media including photos, video and audio
- Creating a contact page
- Using themes
- Integrating with social media